For the last few months I have been rocking knotless box braids. Every 8 week I will take my braids out, shampoo, and masque my hair. However, now that we’re in quarantine I’ve been unable to get new braids, so I’m rocking my current braids a little longer than expected.
I wear braids because I love the style. I love that I don’t need to do much or anything at all to style my hair. It’s low maintenance! Braids are a protective style, like a barrier. I don’t worry about breakage or heat style damage.
Although braids are low in maintenance it’s important to keep our scalps clean and healthy. Just as we shampoo our natural hair, our braids need to be shampooed. In a 8 week span I shampoo my braids twice.
How I care for my braids:
- I use Aveda’s Pramasana scalp cleanser
Why: The Pramasana scalp cleanser will cleanse and exfoliate the scalp gently to remove buildup.
- I wet my scalp and braids. Apply the cleanser and work it into my scalp and hair in a vertical direction, to avoid Frizz
- Rinse well
- Use a small amount of conditioner on the ends only.
- Rinse well
- Dry your scalp and braids completely. I use a hooded dryer 45 minutes, maybe more depending on the size of my braids. You could also use a hand held blow dryer. If your hair and braids are not completely dry, you could have problems such a mildew, and/or fungus growth.
- Even with braids, your hair and braids needs moisture. I use Aveda’s dry remedy on my scalp. I use Aveda’s beautifying oil on the braids.
Why oil your braids: because your hair is intertwined in the extensions. Your hair still requires hydration and moisture.
Although I only shampoo my braids twice within 8 weeks. Every week I refresh my scalp with Aveda’s Rinseless Refresh and oil my braids as needed. The Rinseless Refresh is one of my favorite products to use while rocking my protective styles. In between my shampoo days, this produce instantly cleanses my scalp and gives my hair a pleasure clean aroma.
Here’s how I refresh my braids weekly:
I spray/apply Aveda’s Rinseless Refresh on my scalp, and allow it to air dry.
I use a few drop of dry remedy oil and massaging throughout my scalp.
I use beautifying oil to add moisture to my hair intertwined with the extensions
So as we’re wearing braids or other protective styles, let’s keep our scalps and natural hair healthy and happy!